GSP issue shedding? with pic

joshgabel

I bought a GSP rock from a member here and it looked super healthy all was open and it did fine for the first 24 hours in my tank.

then it closed i have had stable water perams as listed below for over 2 months.

amonia 0.0

nitrate 0.1

phos 0.25

nitrate 0.0

dkh 11 - kh196

calc 520

alk 2.6

ph 8.3

kh 190

it has been closed for about 2 weeks and yesterday i noticed some spots that look like deterioration or something has been eating them.

any ideas? i have:

2 pep shrimp

2 blue leg herms.

2 snails

1 damsel

and the most interaction i have seen between them and the GSP is the shrimp picking fallen food off the top of it.

i also have a small GSP approx 1" square that is on the other side of the tank and doing fine.

tank has excellent flow

good distance from other zoas and mushrooms.

what gives?

post-2103-0-97546200-1318358984_thumb.jp

ROBB: lighting of seller tank i believe was 2 36w cf (biocube 29)

mine is 18W 50/50 biocube 6

Why is this a blessing? are they THAT undesirable? haha i just want some color in there and dont want to spend any more cash on this tank till i get my new one complete.

IRSSIX: sorry first "nitrate" reading should have been nitrite at 0.1. it has always tested with this reading since the cycle has completed. i suspect the kit might be off since nitrate and ammonia are both undetectable.

Like Robb I would first suspect lighting. Is the first Nitrate reading actually nitrate or was it supposed to be nitrite? If so I would wonder why there's nitrite when ammonia and nitrate are zero. Anyway, if you want to use a shotgun approach you could get some "Boyd's Chemiclean Elite". I suspect though if all the other corals including a 2nd colony of GSP are doing well this colony in question just isn't acclimating. It's frustrating and I would always look for a cause any time a coral isn't doing well but it happens. Check out this thread about a problem I had last fall & winter:

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/18681-inexplicable-fungia-sp-death/

update-

I took some water to RCA to get tested.

while my my home hydrometer was reading .0025 after testing at RCA i was at .0032!!!

Also my ALK test kit was bunk. my readings per RCA are spot on on everything else.

i am surprised that the GSP was the only thing that wasn't happy.

i adjusted the salt and bought a new ALK kit.

since then the shrooms that weren't thriving are going crazy as are my zoa's! they are spreading like crazy.

however the DSP didn't make it.

lesson learned: out of all the money you spend on this hobby spend 45 on a refractometer and don't waste your cash on a petsmart "reef master" test kit unless you know how old it is.. support your LFS.

cheers. rock.gif