Anybody know about building codes?

KimP

This may be a silly question but I figured it's best to be sure before starting. We have an existing raised, covered patio that we'd like to screen in. Anyone know if we have to get any city permits? I'm having trouble sorting through all the deck company ads :) Or maybe point me in the right direction. I already know we have to get permission from the hoa - don't even get me started on that one!

Thanks!

You can generally call down to the permit offices and ask about your project. Don't give them any real information. Just say that you are interested in adding screens, don't tell them the address and such. They can tell you whether you need permits or not. If you give them your info and there is a disagreement then they now have your info to come and visit. They tend not to know what they are doing, ha professionals, so try and write down the person's name and the time you called and what the verdict was.

I was about to buy a small shed for my property and the sales guy offered me the largest they make for a little more than the small one. I jumped on that. 24Lx14'W and 14'H. I measured out my property and knew it was big enough for the shed and should be good for codes. I called down to the office and we got to talking and I was asking about set backs from the house and fence line. I offered my address and the lady told me there was absolutely no way I could have that shed in my neighborhood, none of the yards would allow for it. We argued back and forth and when she finally listened to me saying that my yard was 50' from house to fence S-N and 100' from E-W you could just hear her voice crack. She told me she did not believe me. I went immediately to the office with my land survey and a to scale line drawing of the shed. They finally looked at it and said, well shoot we couldn't stop you from building 4 sheds on your property, $32 please. I'm actually glad I paid for the permit since a neighbor complained about a year later about the shed, not to me of course, no to the city. The city contacted me about the complaint and how I need to take the shed down, blah blah blah. The guy finally took a breath and I asked him why did I pay the city $32 so they could later on call and harass me? I got a pleasant "I'm sorry, I'll look into that". I received a formal letter from RR outlining the original protest and the city's response that I had all the proper permits and that the shed had been inspected and that they would not be proceeding any further.