Hello! Newbie reef keeper here

Aqua Girl

Hi all, my name is Angela and Im currently a senior at UT majoring in Marine and freshwater biology. Alot of my friends who are fellow Marine bio students have reef tanks and it always seemed like an unobtainable dream but I'm about to dive right in. Currently Im studying at the Marine Science Institute in Port Aransas for the summer, but I will be back to Austin in one week and I will be purchasing an established 29g biocube that has a few shrimp, one SMALL piece of live rock with soft corals, and a Royal Gramma. The owner has been very honest with me and has told me that he basically lost interest and created an algae issue for himself with the lack of water changes he has been doing. I am looking forward to saving this sad reef and I would like to sell or trade the royal gramma for some live rock or some snails and crabs to help with the algae issue. I'll post something in the trade section later about it but it is a beautiful fish and I wish I could keep it but I don't want the fish to suffer with my learning curve and inexperience while I try to get the water right and the algae under control. The owner of this tank also advised me to get rid of this fish because he has been the only fish in the tank and would have territorial issues with other fish that I may want to introduce because he already experienced these issues with another fish he had in there. Do people have other reefkeepers 'baby sit' their fish for them at times when they are redoing or restructuring their tanks? I am just not sure that I want to give up this fish so if I could get advice on that subject then that would be good. If I create a new structure within the tank after the fish has been out of it for a while, and then I introduce him back in the tank at the same time as new fish, would that work? Sorry for all the questions but I do appreciate the advice!

post-2064-0-83635900-1312646129_thumb.jp

Edited by Aqua Girl

Welcome!

If you are in town, be sure to stop by the meeting (our semi-annual frag swap) next Saturday.

As for fish sitting/re-arranging. You can either leave the fish in the tank and do the re-arranging, or catch it (would be easiest once the rock is out of the tank) and put it in a bucket while you do the work.