Flow rate for SPS? what is too much?

Juiceman

I have a 90 gallon reef which I've been adding a lot of SPS in. The flow in my tank is created by my mag18 return pump. I have no powerheads right now. I have noticed bubbles on the sps and some with poypls not extending as far as where I got them, as well as no flow directly affecting the high sps areas.

Id like to add 2 koralias or something similar to send some flow directly to my sps areas, but I'm not sure how strong they should be. They would be about 8-10 inches away from the first piece of sps they would be directed at.

Thoughts? Experiences?

im not a big sps guy althought i have a couple of frags..i have a mp10 in a biocube 29 pretty close to one of my sps...it seems to be really happy...id say it is about 8 inches away from the fan...some may differ but mine likes that high flow across it

I'm not an SPS person but my boyfriend is, and based on his experiences I'd say you want consistent flow across SPS. There is such a thing as too much flow but that's generally when you're blowing the flesh off the coral. He has frags less than 6" from his MP10 in his 20g and they are happy, growing like crazy, great PE, etc. In his 30g he has both a Tunze Nano wavebox and an MP20, and all the corals seem quite happy with the flow, including the odd bit of xenia that made its way in there. So in a 90 you are going to need some pretty powerful Koralias if you are going to go that route. SPS are found in tidal areas in the wild, so they are subject to a lot of turbulent water motion and waves crashing over them, i.e., high flow.

My two cents: As long as you're not blowing the tissue off the corals it's whatever YOU like to look at. Here's one of my tanks that gets very little flow by many peoples standards. It's a 240 gal with one Koralia 2 in each corner buried behind the rock blowing to the front of the tank and a Aquaclear 70 behind the rock in the middle blowing to the right so most of the SPS are getting at best a very moderate flow.

• 2 weeks later...