tank leaking

cjwl

I just came home from work late and found my 75 g leaking from the front bottom seam. So far, about 1 gallon on the floor. I set it up a week ago. I'll transfer everything over to a 55 g that I have next to it. Does anyone make house calls to repair tanks? Or maybe I should just try to reseal the entire tank myself.

I'm a little disappointed. :(

Just my $.02 but once a tank starts leaking I would say it's time to turn it into a terrariuim. You can put a bead of silicon over it and stop the leak but there may be a structural issue as well. The problem with glass aquariums is the silicon bond - the silicon will fail eventually. How long depends on how well it was made and the conditions it was kept in but it will fail eventually. This time may be a leak, the next tme may be pane of glass coming loose in an established aquarium while you're at work. The tank is actually not a big percentage of the cost in a reef aquarium and it's not something that I believe is worth taking a risk on - the cost of failure is way too high. That's just my own take on it; I know that others feel differently and are likely more qualified on the subject. I'm glad it didn't cause too much damage for you though.

I'm in the get a new tank corner. I bought a used 130G tank about 4 yrs ago that turned out to be a leaker, I took great care prepping/resealed it and made it into an in-wall, that was running fine up until a month ago. I came home from being gone for 4 day's to sheetrock and wood floor damage. I'm never buying a used tank again.

Just my $.02 but once a tank starts leaking I would say it's time to turn it into a terrariuim. You can put a bead of silicon over it and stop the leak but there may be a structural issue as well. The problem with glass aquariums is the silicon bond - the silicon will fail eventually. How long depends on how well it was made and the conditions it was kept in but it will fail eventually. This time may be a leak, the next tme may be pane of glass coming loose in an established aquarium while you're at work. The tank is actually not a big percentage of the cost in a reef aquarium and it's not something that I believe is worth taking a risk on - the cost of failure is way too high. That's just my own take on it; I know that others feel differently and are likely more qualified on the subject. I'm glad it didn't cause too much damage for you though.

+1

Smaller tanks its not too bad of a problem, but larger tanks with long front displays or very tall displays, and your just asking for problems down the road. Unless you can pull the pane, and clean off all the silicone and re-apply silicone to the surface edge of the joining glass, there would be no true "structural bond"

Thanks everyone! I've been researching repairing this on the internet. I also read about puttiing acrylic strips as reinforcements along the inside base which is where it's leaking. I think this is a over my head plus I can barely even move this tank when empty! It seems like it started when I put the last 20 lbs of LR (out of 120)--leaked the next day. Oh well. I'll be cycling the LR for a while anyway.