How can you tell an urchin is dead?

C Lo Slice

I've had a tuxedo urchin in my tank since June 19th. He has been VERY active since I've added him, moving all over the tank. I just got back from vacation late last night, and I haven't seen him move an inch since I got back. How do you tell if one is dying/dead? Its not like he is suctioned to the glass or anything; he's just sitting on a rock. Is this cause for concern at all?

Hangin out in one place for a day, in of itself isn't the most alarming thing.

Are his soft "feeling" tentacles out at all?

Are water parameters off? They can be somewhat sensitive to temp, nitrate, & amonia spikes.

The signs of distress that I've seen in the past are: Loosing color (changing whitish or brown), shedding needles, or stationary for several an extended period.

Hope your is just taking a little siesta.

both of mine died in 2 weeks. I though my nem killed one but the other just moved around and then one day parked. I came back a couple days later and all his needles were history and a hard empty shell was all that remained. I plucked him out and didnt notice any funk, but not about to go sniffing around anything dead...