Combating Terpenoids

MattD

The one tank I had before only had zoas in it, so I have no experience in this topic. Im starting a 29g mixed reef very soon, and im getting worried that terpenoids from the cabbage leather and Kenya tree that I intend to keep will slow the growth or injure the other corals. My questions are...

1.will placing the leathers away from the lps/sps prevent them from releasing terpenoids?

2.If not, will placing the leathers close to the overflow box so the chemicals go directly into the sump and into carbon/ protein skimmer work?

3. will chaeto alter/absorb terpenoids?

4.Are the terpenoids from these specific corals nothing to worry about/absent?

specific stocking list(for now) that could be helpful...

pink birdsnest

plating montipora

bubble coral

hammer coral

brain coral

kenya tree coral

cabbage leather

gsp

various zoas and mushroom

I have a mixed reef with many leathers. I run carbon 24/7 and change it frequently. No problems. I even have a toadstool close to the sps and they are all happy and growing.

All corals appear to produce allelopathic compounds. The diterpenoids in some Sinularia sp. are being researched as growth inhibitors in tumors. Even though it sometimes seems to be the best explanation for some of the problems we see there's no way to test for it to prove one way or the other. That so many people are successful keeping a wide range of corals together for years shows with proper husbandry techniques it's not an issue.

Edited by Timfish