vortech mp's

wizardx322

I have no expience with vortech mp's but was thinking about getting those instead of a wave box.

i was thinking 2 mp10's or 1 mp40 for my 90 gal

for those of yall using them what are yalls opinion. the cost is almost the same for 2 mp10 or 1 mp40.

If your choices are wavebox, mp40, or (2) mp 10's I would go for the wave box if you are looking for a wave in your tank. I had 5 mp 40's that didn't get the water moving, I traded 2 of the mp40's for 2 wave boxes and now I can actually slosh water out of my tank at 100% power. You may not even need the full size wavebox, and you can mount it on the back glass and it will work just fine.

If you have the room, I would go with a wavebox. Otherwise, I would recommend going with 2 vortechs over 1, even if that means going smaller. I think one vortech does not do a great job of creating random flow. I only have one vortech for water movement and there is a constant pattern the water travels in my tank regardless of what power setting the vortech is currently at. I would prefer to have 2 ramping up and down at different times causing more random flow from various sides, but I would take a wavebox over 2 vortechs.

Mark's suggestion of an MP40 and an MP10 are spot on. A nano wavebox would be a good addition also if you are charging it up with no regard to the old AMX bill at the end of the month.

I added a MP60 at xmas and have been extremely impressed with its performance and management via the Apex controller and WXM module.

I agree with not having the vortecs making a wave. They'll do it but just using these pumps to do that is a waste of their capabilities.

BEST case scenario would be 2xmp40's and a nano wavebox. That's a bit of change, but that's how I have my tank setup and I love it...I'll never lose the nano wavebox even with the 2xmp40s.

I like my nano wavebox but I don't have any experience with the vortechs so I am greatly biased right now. The offer is still out there Tim if you want to borrow it for a few weeks to see how it'll work in your system. Like I said, the nano is plenty of water movement for my 125 gallon long so your 90 should be just perfect.

-Ty

I have one MP10 centered on the side of my tank about 6" under the surface and using the pulse mode(blue) and a little playing with the timing/thrust, was able to create a 1" wave in my 40g tank(any more would slosh water up against the acrylic lid and dont want the salt crust all over it). I agree that its a waste of the pumps capability though, but I have very good flow with my return pump and discharge heads. I tried the other modes but wasnt really pleased with them.