Hippo Tang Question

Dena

I've had two in my 120 for over a year now. One was about an inch larger than the other and now both are about the same size. Definitely not enough room in the tank for the two of them at their size now, which I'm guessing is why one of them is picking on the other and chasing it when ever it sees it. We should be setting up our new tank hopefully around the end of the month/beginning of April. It will be the 280g.

Question...will the issues these two have settle down once they have more room? Or will I have to look at rehoming one? If I need to rehome it, I would rather do it when I tear down the 120 so I don't have to try catching it twice.

Right now they are "pissy" with each other, but have their hiding places and no damage has come to either one. Both seem to be nice and fat so food is getting to each of them.

Thanks,

Dena

I would guess that they would be fine in the larger tank. The Wet Web Media article on tangs indicates these are one of the least likely to have agression issues. Is there anything happening in the tank recently that could have stressed them and started the agression?

Nothing has really changed in the tank, I think it's just space issues now that the other is the same size. Plus my Vlamingi Tang is even bigger than they are...really cramped. I plan to add all the tangs in at the same time...this is what helped me get my yellow tang not to kill my purple one. I have two more tangs in my 84g...may add them to the 280g as well...not sure...maybe just one. I really want to get a powder blue.

Thanks guys! They aren't hurting each other and they are still eating so I'll just make them hang in there a little longer.

Dena

Right now they are "pissy" with each other, but have their hiding places and no damage has come to either one. Both seem to be nice and fat so food is getting to each of them.

Thanks,

Dena

My experience is they will still be "pissy" with each other even in a bigger tank. Naso's seem to be the only tangs I've seen that don't get very territorial. If the dominate one is not inflicting any damage and the submissive one has just as good body weight and is eating well I'd leave them be. I would expect the submissive one to have a slower growth rate though so that might factor into your decision to keep it. I don't know what your goals are for fish in your new tank but I'd wouldn't add any more Hippos and think Naso lituratus (not Naso vlamingi, they eat leather corals) would be a better choice than the Zebrasomma sp. or Ctenochaetus sp. and I'd avoid all the Acanthurus sp.