Hippo Tangs Dying! Help!

Juiceman

Enough!!

Just stop. Sometimes you just come across a piece of livestock that can't be kept in your system. Hopefully the addendum 'at this time' can be added but not always.

If you had taken a puppy home and it died, replaced it and that puppy died, replaced it and that puppy died at what point would you do the right thing and decide either you, or your current environment are not right for a puppy right now. Should these fish have any less right to reasonable treatment than a puppy?

I am absolutely fascinated by plate corals (fungia) and clams but have had a couple of each die fairly quickly (a number of weeks) in my tanks. Guess what! I don't get them anymore and will not until I have a measurably stable sustained change in my systems.

Anyone can decided 'this' is what I did wrong 'this' time but at some point you have to look at the larger picture. You've had five that have lasted a (by my count) combined total of roughly 18 days and now you've brought home a sixth. Just stop!

I would have posted this far sooner if I'd seen that you were going to "see if I have better luck!"

I wish your latest the best of luck and hope it does well but if not please have some respect for these animals and just stop!

Think of the puppies!

Regards,

Russell

• Like 1

Enough!!

Just stop. Sometimes you just come across a piece of livestock that can't be kept in your system. Hopefully the addendum 'at this time' can be added but not always.

If you had taken a puppy home and it died, replaced it and that puppy died, replaced it and that puppy died at what point would you do the right thing and decide either you, or your current environment are not right for a puppy right now. Should these fish have any less right to reasonable treatment than a puppy?

I am absolutely fascinated by plate corals (fungia) and clams but have had a couple of each die fairly quickly (a number of weeks) in my tanks. Guess what! I don't get them anymore and will not until I have a measurably stable sustained change in my systems.

Anyone can decided 'this' is what I did wrong 'this' time but at some point you have to look at the larger picture. You've had five that have lasted a (by my count) combined total of roughly 18 days and now you've brought home a sixth. Just stop!

I would have posted this far sooner if I'd seen that you were going to "see if I have better luck!"

I wish your latest the best of luck and hope it does well but if not please have some respect for these animals and just stop!

Think of the puppies!

Regards,

Russell

Thanks for your help man.....

Edited by Juiceman

• 1 month later...

hippo tangs are fairly simple if you follow 3 key rules, water, food, space. i have personally had 8 hippo tangs, only one has died, if you purchase the tang in a store small is ok, it actually helps adapt them to tank life better, most big hippos will be seen laying down in stores where as most of the little guys will be swimming or at least attentive. i suggest feeding 3 times daily with cyclopeeze and add in mysis (ill go ahead and plug P.E. mysis) for one of those feedings, perform water changes weekly of at least 0 percent, if ick shows up heavily i suggest increasing the water changes to every 4 days at 20%, last and certainly not least, give the little guy some space, i feel like QT's are too often the graveyard for hippos, start off the little guys in at least a 30 inch tank, give them good rockwork to hide and feel comfortable in, after the first month you should have a chubby happy little tang and best of all, most of these guys will take to pellets quickly, i recommend "finicky fish formula" from spectrum foods