pod population

Jakedoza

I think my pod population disappeared. Is there a way to test for it, or how can I go about encouraging pod growth without a refugium? Eventually I am going to set up a refugium, but currently I do not have a way to set one up.

Thanks

Ideally you should be able to see some of them on the glass. Or if you shine a light (with red cellophane over it is even better) in your caves/crevices near the sand level you hopefully will see little caves full of them.

You might want to try something that I am currently doing.

I purchased one of the 'Reef Pod' pouches from RCA the first week of March. I poured 2/3 of the pouch into my tank, and then refilled the original pouch with fresh saltwater and added some DT Phytoplankton to it. This gives the remaining pods in the pouch a fresh water change, and some new food to eat. They can live and breed in the pouch just sitting out next to the tank or wherever you put the pouch. I have been repeating this cycle every 7-10 days since I bought the original pouch, and I have more pods in the pouch at the end of the 7-10 days than when I purchased it. It's worked great for me and well worth the original $13 investment.

Ideally you should be able to see some of them on the glass. Or if you shine a light (with red cellophane over it is even better) in your caves/crevices near the sand level you hopefully will see little caves full of them.

I purchased one of the 'Reef Pod' pouches from RCA the first week of March. I poured 2/3 of the pouch into my tank, and then refilled the original pouch with fresh saltwater and added some DT Phytoplankton to it. This gives the remaining pods in the pouch a fresh water change, and some new food to eat. They can live and breed in the pouch just sitting out next to the tank or wherever you put the pouch. I have been repeating this cycle every 7-10 days since I bought the original pouch, and I have more pods in the pouch at the end of the 7-10 days than when I purchased it. It's worked great for me and well worth the original $13 investment.

that is genius!!!

that is genius!!!

Thanks!

I mainly did it because I don't currently have a refugium set up, so it was more a failsafe just to keep some pods alive after I dosed the tank.

There are sites that tell you how to set up mason jars w/ pods in them, or a small tank, but I tried that before and for some reason it didn't work out for me.

This was incredibly simple and has worked for me for the past 2 months.

sweeet.. good idea!