Lighting Query

Lamont

My lighting is okay, but i feel that its too blue. I know a lot of people use actinics for coral POP, but could it be possible without them. Some of the photos i've seen on ARC look amazing and it seems they aren't using actinics. I'm about to upgrade my lights this week to 2x250w 14000k MH's and would like to know if i can get that same POP without the actinics. Heres a Video of what it looks like now. I think the video adds even more blue than what it really there. Thank for the info in advance.

What color is your bulb now? It looks like maybe a 20k which is very blue. I think that some of the tanks that you see use a lower kelvin bulb (14k or less) with actinics at the same time. This will make your tank look less blue but the actincs will still make the corals pop. High kelvin lighting with actinics is just going to make it even darker blue/purple. I think that you are on the right track changing the bulbs.

With that said I thought I would offer you some advice with lighting. I use 12k reeflux mogul based bulbs with 1 strip of VHO actinics and I'm very happy with the color and growth, from what I understand the Hamilton 14k double ended bulbs are also very popular. The lighting setup using the reeflux bulbs was recommended by a professional reef keeper and with all of the lighting choices I was glad to have some direction.

Be very careful introducing the upgraded lighting to keep from melting your tank. Just switching to one new bulb alone could be more lighting than your tank is used to, especially adding 2 new bulbs. It ususally takes a week or more to get everything acclimated to be safe, run them alternately (only one at a time) for a few days and only run them about 4-5 hrs the first day increasing slowly to 12 hrs a day still alternating them. Then I would turn them both on at the same time and run through the same routine slowly building up to 12 hrs (or whatever you normally run. You can increase your lighting "on" time can be increased quicker if you have the ability to raise the lights a few feet off the top of the tank which greatly reduces the lumens in the tank. Just watch your corals closely, they will let you know if there is a problem. If possible you can put all of your corals on the bottom of the tank and slowly move them up.

What color is your bulb now? It looks like maybe a 20k which is very blue. I think that some of the tanks that you see use a lower kelvin bulb (14k or less) with actinics at the same time. This will make your tank look less blue but the actincs will still make the corals pop. High kelvin lighting with actinics is just going to make it even darker blue/purple. I think that you are on the right track changing the bulbs.

With that said I thought I would offer you some advice with lighting. I use 12k reeflux mogul based bulbs with 1 strip of VHO actinics and I'm very happy with the color and growth, from what I understand the Hamilton 14k double ended bulbs are also very popular. The lighting setup using the reeflux bulbs was recommended by a professional reef keeper and with all of the lighting choices I was glad to have some direction.

Be very careful introducing the upgraded lighting to keep from melting your tank. Just switching to one new bulb alone could be more lighting than your tank is used to, especially adding 2 new bulbs. It ususally takes a week or more to get everything acclimated to be safe, run them alternately (only one at a time) for a few days and only run them about 4-5 hrs the first day increasing slowly to 12 hrs a day still alternating them. Then I would turn them both on at the same time and run through the same routine slowly building up to 12 hrs (or whatever you normally run. You can increase your lighting "on" time can be increased quicker if you have the ability to raise the lights a few feet off the top of the tank which greatly reduces the lumens in the tank. Just watch your corals closely, they will let you know if there is a problem. If possible you can put all of your corals on the bottom of the tank and slowly move them up.

Thanks for the info! I am currently using a phoenix 14000k bulb with two dual 96w actinics. So if i were to switch to a 12000k bulb i could use the actinics and it wouldn't look too blue. i was thinking about eliminating the actinics altogether and just using 2 14000k bulbs. Do they make a 12000k bulb for HQI Metal Halides?

Hey Lamont,

I don't know if you remember because it was so brief, but my tank is lit exactly the same as Hydro Innovations, 12k Reeflux Mogul bulb with VHO supplementation, except I have 4 strips of VHO actinics, but 3 bulbs are really old so it's not overly blue. I like the combination and the look, gives good amount of clean white lighting and the pop of the actinics without being overly blue.

If I remember right, the Phoenix bulbs have a reputation for being bluer than most bulbs so with actinic supplementation, it might be giving you overkill on the blue. If you can't find a 12k, perhaps even a 14k in another brand may be a lot less blue than what you were experiencing with the Phoenix. Good luck on the lighting upgrade, your tank is looking great.

-Ty

Sure they make 10k and 12k bulbs double ended/HQI (same thing), I would go with the 12k over the 10k which are very white. Don't count out the actinics just yet, I would leave them for sure and go with a lower k bulb. Plus I run my actunics for a couple of hours after my MH lighting goes out just b/c it I like the way it looks.

Here is the other thing about your current lighting setup color, IMO you are heavy on the actinics and low on MH which you are about to change. Having the lighting setup this way allows the actinic color have more of a presence but after you double your MH it will knock down the actinic color greatly.

Actinics do more than just make the corals visibly pop, they actually aid in giving the corals color. I have been running my tank without actinics so far for the first time ever. Even though I am using a 15k bulb the corals have lost some of their color. I have the VHOs but have yet to install them. Need more time in the day. Someone want to come do it for me? :D

Hi Lamont,

Since you are already running a phoenix 14k you may want to light it up without your dual actinics. This would give you a chance to see what the 14ks will look like standalone from a color standpoint. (of course 2 14ks would be brighter but should have close to the same color). I run two of my nanos under standalone 15ks and I think they look great.

Hey Lamont,

I don't know if you remember because it was so brief, but my tank is lit exactly the same as Hydro Innovations, 12k Reeflux Mogul bulb with VHO supplementation, except I have 4 strips of VHO actinics, but 3 bulbs are really old so it's not overly blue. I like the combination and the look, gives good amount of clean white lighting and the pop of the actinics without being overly blue.

If I remember right, the Phoenix bulbs have a reputation for being bluer than most bulbs so with actinic supplementation, it might be giving you overkill on the blue. If you can't find a 12k, perhaps even a 14k in another brand may be a lot less blue than what you were experiencing with the Phoenix. Good luck on the lighting upgrade, your tank is looking great.

-Ty

Ty, I remember your tanks lighting it was fine with me.(if it was too blue i would have said something) What does it look like without the actinics? Is a 12000k bulb slightly blue, if so then thats cool. I dont like yellow light at all though!

Sure they make 10k and 12k bulbs double ended/HQI (same thing), I would go with the 12k over the 10k which are very white. Don't count out the actinics just yet, I would leave them for sure and go with a lower k bulb. Plus I run my actunics for a couple of hours after my MH lighting goes out just b/c it I like the way it looks.

Here is the other thing about your current lighting setup color, IMO you are heavy on the actinics and low on MH which you are about to change. Having the lighting setup this way allows the actinic color have more of a presence but after you double your MH it will knock down the actinic color greatly.

I was thinking the same thing about me having too much actinic and not enough MH. When I do put the 2x250w MH's on there you dont think that would be too much light if i have the actinics on also? That's over 9watts per gallon.

Lamont,

Without the actinics on, my tank is almost a crisp white with a very slight tinge of yellow. When I say tinge, I mean barely noticeable, not like staring into a 10k or anything. It actually does not look bad at all without any supplementation but I prefer a slight blue pop, just not saturated with blue. I do notice that my reds aren't as crushed anymore and show more intensely without my actinics on, casting everything in a blueish hue but I'll sacrifice a little red for lots of iridescent greens and blues.

If I had to guess though, I think you'd be happier with a little more blue than just the 12k Reeflux bulb alone. But as Gabe says, there's more to actinic than just coloration, the coral actually uses that spectrum of light. My setup may work for you but just be careful and read some reviews on the HQI 12k Reeflux coloration. I heard it's slightly more yellow than the mogul-based bulb. I'm not sure if there's any validity to that but my brother bought the 12k Reeflux for his 150watt HQI and it does look slightly more yellow than my setup with the 250watt mogul, whether that's due to the lower wattage or the fact that it is HQI, who knows.

Just my 2 cents.