Engineer goby's Good or EVIL

reefer420

It all started with my mandarin,1 day he's here the next day gone.Months go by 2 firefish gone, another month goes by and my purple psuedo disapears, Thats when i got mad and threw my yellow tonga brittle in the sump. month goes by and wendsday of last week my 3 inch coral beauty gone without a trace. I would have never suspected this GOBY has the feeding habits of a green moray. Is this my predator a 12" engineer GOBY,Please HELP i want to start replacing my fish. I have an ORA true percula and a lemon damsel left.

post-1410-12718785786125_thumb.jpg

Well, if you hadn't listed the purple pseudo among the dead I'd have been inclined to point a finger at it, I had one take exception to a Coral Beauty, harrassing it to death, then started on a Bicolor when the decision to tear apart the tank and remove it was made. I too am wondering how long the tank has been set up and running, I want to see 'pods and bugs and stuff for the Mandarines and Fire gobies. Also with the time scale you mentioned it's quite possible the deaths are totally unrelated.

I'd still bet on it being the brittle star. I've had a 3" coral beauty disappear without a trace as well, and I didn't have an engineer goby. If you have a cleanup crew and a fish dies it's amazing how quickly that cleanup crew can dispose of it.

The tanks been going for a little over a year, all inhabitants listed above were origanaly in my nano,before i upgraded to the bowfront. By the way, I had no idea it was so hard to photograph the engineer,i think he's camera shy.

Mine hasn't acted at all threateningly toward any of the other tank critters.. he makes quite a mess competing with the eel over who is the better digger, buries any coral I put on the sand, but otherwise he's a pretty decent citizen.