Wave Maker Settings

Rjohn

My new Hydor evolutions are installed and running. Now I want to hook up the JBJ Pulse Duo that has been sitting in a box on my book shelf for about 3 or 4 months. What setting do I start with? It starts at 0 and goes up to 6 minutes. Any ideas? I have a 72 gallon tank if that matters any.

Ric...are you trying to get a wave in your tank? If so, you can dial it in, if not, just pick a time that sounds good to you. There is no right/wrong setting.

I was never able to get an actual wave in my tank with powerheads...I had to go to a wavebox.

Basically if you want a maintaned wave, you need to find a frequency that resonates with it's own wave, instead of creating destructive interference with each wave. It will be a trial and error kind of thing, so while 20 seconds is probably low (length of the tank perpindicular to the wave is the most important concern), it will all need to change to find a setting that gives you the wave patterns you want. Maybe try starting at 30-50 second pulses.

Basically if you want a maintaned wave, you need to find a frequency that resonates with it's own wave, instead of creating destructive interference with each wave. It will be a trial and error kind of thing, so while 20 seconds is probably low (length of the tank perpindicular to the wave is the most important concern), it will all need to change to find a setting that gives you the wave patterns you want. Maybe try starting at 30-50 second pulses.

I thought the same thing when I got my wavebox...that the longer pulse would be better. It turned out shorter was best...around .5sec. It might be different with powerheads vs. a wavebox

I have been running the box about 4 hours now. I am not getting a wave just an alternating current. However, I am seeing some unusually large polyp extension. Things are looking really nice. I would like a wave so I will keep adjusting till I get something similar to that. I would like a wave box but they are a bit beyond my current budgetary limitations.

So far, I really like the Koralia Evolutions. They are dead silent when they start up. The don't have a concentrator tho. Also the glass attachment is a little odd. There are three o-rings that hold the pump body to the base. In between the base and body, there are three rubber feet that I assume are there to soak up any vibrations.

I got these at a very good price from Marine Depot. They are the 1080 GPH models and I paid $35.99 each with a single $8.99 shipping charge.

I have been running the box about 4 hours now. I am not getting a wave just an alternating current. However, I am seeing some unusually large polyp extension. Things are looking really nice. I would like a wave so I will keep adjusting till I get something similar to that. I would like a wave box but they are a bit beyond my current budgetary limitations.

So far, I really like the Koralia Evolutions. They are dead silent when they start up. The don't have a concentrator tho. Also the glass attachment is a little odd. There are three o-rings that hold the pump body to the base. In between the base and body, there are three rubber feet that I assume are there to soak up any vibrations.

I got these at a very good price from Marine Depot. They are the 1080 GPH models and I paid $35.99 each with a single $8.99 shipping charge.

d'oh! I could have gotten you a better price @ Marine Depot!

Good to hear your corals are happier!

The rubber feet are to absorb vibration.

You probably won't get a wave due to the bowfront and the lack of the wavemaker to get down to a low enough cycle time to cause the wave. But if your corals are happy so that's a good thing!

Not sure if this helpful.

I have my wavebox on the back wall of the tank and the wave runs the length of the tank. Like mentioned above the matching the resonance of the tank is the most important thing. I would try for a short cyle time between burts.

Dose the wave maker allow you to adjust the time for both heads, meaning can they fire together?

Glad you posted the info about your Koralias. I'm thinking about replaceing my 4's with new 5's or going Tunze. Not sure which yet?