Why A Canopy

Derek

What are the pros and cons of having a canopy? I am planning on buying a larger tank in the next couple of months and am wondering if it is worth the $600 to get the canopy that goes with the tank.

$600? yeesh.

IMHO, looks and light containment as well as preventing carpet surfers without having a top on the tank...

I plan on building one for my tank.

Yeah, $600 unfortunately. It does seem to be a lot for what a canopy is. I keep some grating over the top of my tank to prevent floor surfers.

Okay Derek,

Don't get the wrong idea...I'm not stalking you :shiftyninja: LOL! There's several members here who would probably be willing to give you a hand on designing and/or building a canopy for your tank. It wouldn't hurt to ask on the forum and also if they would give you an estimate. It's worth a try, IMO.

-Cindy-

• Like 1

Sweet, screw the canopy. I'll save the $600 bucks. :shiftyninja:

Cindy, I will have to check my house for cameras. -.-

Can't help it---I'm a night owl and this the time for me to relax and try to give my 2cents worth opinion/advice.

Can't help it---I'm a night owl and this the time for me to relax and try to give my 2cents worth opinion/advice.

I know what you mean. I like to do the same thing in the evening and during my breaks.

Is it not possible to build your own? I did on my last tank and it only cost me about $50 in materials.

do you have any drawings or plans from your canopy build. I need to build one for mine and $50.00 sounds like a great price to pay.

Also, does anyone have suggestions on what type of wood would be good to use. Not only for the canopy but for dressing up the stand as well. i have the basic fram for the stand but just need to dress the outside of it.

med_gallery_792_217_312972.jpg

Edited by polarbear

Is it not possible to build your own? I did on my last tank and it only cost me about $50 in materials.

Wow I shoulda checked with you before I built recently. I made a little 'cheap' canopy to go over my 29. I thought it was going to be really cheap as I was using very thin plywood, 1x2's and 1x4's. But, by the time I paid for several bags of screws, some L brackets, a piano hinge, 2 regular hinges, primer, paint, sealant and probably a few other misc. things it was much more than I had intended. Coulda been $50 for mine. Oh yeah, that didn't include a couple of fans that I will probably need later.

Bill

I just spent $70 on my canopy and I am almost done with mine. I had one already but it was only 6in so I raised it up to 14in. I also went from one 250 MH to two. I will get pics of the before and after as soon as I am done. But if you need help just let me know.

Tim

do you have any drawings or plans from your canopy build. I need to build one for mine and $50.00 sounds like a great price to pay.

Also, does anyone have suggestions on what type of wood would be good to use. Not only for the canopy but for dressing up the stand as well. i have the basic fram for the stand but just need to dress the outside of it.

med_gallery_792_217_312972.jpg

Most of the stands that you can buy are either pine or oak. I used hickory on mine to match the cabinets in my house. If I was to build another one I think I would go with alder or cherry. I built all of my kids furniture out of cherry and love the way it dakens over time. Alder has a similar grain and you can get it in knotty or clear.

I am not usually a fan of canopies, but I am a fan of building a separate unit to house your lighting. More or less a canopy, but only enough to cover your lights & match your stand - not actually sitting on top of the aquarium. I like to see in the top of my tank, myself, and I don't usually like the way lights typically mount on/over the aquarium - so if I can hide them, all the better :)

It really boils down to: do you mind seeing lights sitting over your tank? Do you want a canopy sitting on the tank?

Sorry no plans. or even pics. That was over 5 years ago. I used blonde wood from Lowe's. It's about $20 for a 4'x8' sheet. I then stained it a Mahogany. I just used some 3 inch wide rips from the plywood for the frame. It was super light weight and did what it needed to. Here is a distance shot of it in the room it was in.

gallery_15_6_111697.jpg

I have a really beautiful cherry stand and canopy. It looks great, but is hard to work with. I like to finick with my tank every day and with the canopy on there I can't get to the display tank very easily. On my old 55 gal, it would be no big deal. I'd just pull the canopy off and go to work, but with my 140 gal It's a two man lift. Just something to think about.

I have a really beautiful cherry stand and canopy. It looks great, but is hard to work with. I like to finick with my tank every day and with the canopy on there I can't get to the display tank very easily. On my old 55 gal, it would be no big deal. I'd just pull the canopy off and go to work, but with my 140 gal It's a two man lift. Just something to think about.

I've read a few posts about people using hydraulic door lifts to make this much easier, similar to what is used on cars to open hatchbacks. I think you can get them at home depot and lowes.

I was going to say, we just had a meeting last month where our gracious host talked about his stand/canopy building experience :)

And I had to miss it! :)

My plan to make access as easy as possible is to go with both two doors, opening sideways, that are decent sized for both feeding and quick access as well as a hinged from that will open the entire front and allow for nearly all general maintenance.