IceCap or Coral Vue

chrisfowler99

I'm working on switching from a T5 to a dual 250W MH setup and while acquiring "parts" I managed to end up with two sets of ballasts.

I have a pair of IceCap ballasts that, honestly, look freaking brand new...I don't even see screw marks on the mounting holes.

And I have a pair of Coral Vue ballasts that are definitely used and probably a generation old (as they don't quite match the current pictures on their website).

My gut says go with the IceCap and put the Coral Vue up for sale...

Is my gut right?

Sweet, thanks! I just got a 125 gallon setup and have two metal halide pendants with bulbs, but alas, no electronic ballasts to power them. LMK whenever you decide, it'll be a quick and painless transaction. I don't know how it always comes out so difficult to buy/sell/trade things.... in my world... here's your money... thanks for the stuff, let me stare at your tank for a bit since I made the drive. :D haha.

-Ty

I have 5 bulbs, 3 reflectors, and 1 ballast. I seem to have the opposite problem as you.

Go 20k reeflux bulb and forget the actinic... just more heat!

The 20k reeflux is something I'm considering. I keep reading good things about those from Mike and Don, but I also like the actinic only look that I get right now that I run for the first and last hour or so that I'd like to continue.

The 20k reeflux is something I'm considering. I keep reading good things about those from Mike and Don, but I also like the actinic only look that I get right now that I run for the first and last hour or so that I'd like to continue.

How about LEDs for the blues in your spectrum? May have to be a custom mount if you want really even coverage, but they are small and won't take up said inches.